Instagram is one of the fastest growing social media platforms, but also one of the most restrictive. Since Instagram was acquired by Facebook in 2012, it’s become a big part of their advertising strategy. If you’re planning on using Instagram to market your business, you need to know how to post without messing up quality and attracting followers who will engage with your brand.
Get the image you want to send
To get the best results, you’ll want to make sure your photo is cropped to a square. This is done in Instagram’s settings and will save you time when it comes time to post the image.
Once that’s done, go to “My Photos” and select the image you’d like to use for your post. From there, tap on “Edit.” In order for your photo to look good in Instagram, it needs some filters applied (or at least one). The app offers several different filters that can help enhance images in different ways:
- Vignette: Makes photos look more vintage or artsy
- Rise: Gives images an HDR effect similar to what you’d see on cameras like those made by Canon and Nikon; this works well with pictures taken outdoors during sunrise or sunset
- Chrome: Adds a metallic sheen over photos; good for things like jewelry products if they’re not too busy with other details; but avoid using this filter if they are because it will just make them look washed out instead of adding any real value
Open an online image resizer and select JPG, crop the photo down so it matches the ratio for Instagram.
- Open an online image resizer and select JPG, crop the photo down so it matches the ratio for Instagram.
- The picture should be no larger than 1,000 pixels on its longest side
- The image should be no smaller than 500 pixels on its longest side.
Turn on the high quality option and set the compression level to 90% of maximum.
To keep your Instagram posts looking their best, you’ll want to make sure that they’re posted in high quality. This means not only turning on the high-quality option but also setting the compression level to 90% of maximum. The higher the compression level, the less quality an image has. Setting it at 90% of maximum is a good balance between quality and file size.
Download the picture file and then use it for Instagram.
There are two ways to go about this.
- Download the picture file and then use it for Instagram.
- Upload your Instagram photos directly from your phone to Lightroom or Photoshop, where you have more control over quality (which we’ll discuss in the next section).
No matter which approach you take, make sure that there’s some space on your SD card before attempting to download a photo—this will ensure that no one else can access those photos by mistake while you’re trying to save them yourself!
Resizer.app is a fast, easy way to post great-looking images on Insta.
The free online tool Resizer.app is a fast, easy way to post great-looking images on Instagram. You can use it to compress any JPG, PNG or GIF file in a few quick steps:
- Upload your photo from your computer or phone via the URL field
- Resize the photo by clicking on “Resize”
- Choose the size you need for Instagram (this will vary depending on what size photos are currently working best)
- Save your image and send it to Instagram
We hope this article has helped you find the right image-resizing tool and got you more comfortable with Instagram. If you’re still not sure what to do, don’t worry! There are plenty of other ways to get your photos ready for sharing on Instagram—whether they’re photos or videos, taken with an iPhone or Android device. Click here compress jpeg to 500kb jpg.