Planning to start a new business? A Winery can be an excellent option. It can be your dream business and can make you a millionaire in no time. But, is it that easy? The answer is NO. Starting a winery needs good knowledge in the field of work, patience and determination. Without the proper knowledge and correct information, you are sure to fail in this business.
In this article, I will share a few steps that can make your journey a little easier. If you follow these steps and have the courage and enthusiasm, you will definitely be able to establish your own winery and be successful in this business.
- Make Your Brand: Understand the needs of your customers and make your product accordingly. Research the market and identify the type of wine that customers love. According to your research, plan your business model and branding of your wine. Create an eye-catching logo for your brand and advertise your brand. Marketing is the most essential part for any business to be successful. As a new brand, you might also have to bring up some offers for your customers as well as sellers. For example, you can gift coffee mugs, key rings, caps, T-shirts,etc. to the sellers and customers with the logo of your company printed on them.
- Selection of the Location: Choosing the right location for your winery is very important. You have to find the favourable climatic conditions for the variety of grapes that you are planning to grow. You must also take note that you have adequate space for producing grapes and setting up your winery. Also, check out for the transportation facilities. If proper roads and transport are not available in your location, then you are going to face problems in sending your wine bottles to the market.
- Select your Grapes wisely: Now that you have selected your location,you have to choose the grape variety for planting accordingly. There are hundreds of varieties of grapes and you can select any of them that is suitable to your location’s climate. Some common varieties of grapes that winemakers grow are Cabernet Sauvignon, merlot, Malbec, Pinot Noir, Cabernet Franc, Riesling, Sauvignon Blanc, Chardonnay, etc.
- Paperwork: There are strict regulations on wine making by governments all around the World. So, be sure to complete your paperwork and acquire all the licences needed for starting your winery. If needed, take advice of experts and other winery owners regarding the completion of your paperwork.
- Equipment: The next step would be purchasing all the required equipments. Take an estimate of your production area and the quantity of wine you want to produce, and purchase equipments accordingly. Wine making equipments are costly, so there must be no margin of error in buying them. Do not go for cheap items as they may impact your production in later stages.
- Hire Well Trained Employee: The quality of the wine depends on the experience of the makers. So, always hire experienced professionals. Your employees should know their entire process, from wine making to the process of serving wine. For example, he must be able to answer ‘Should Cabernet Sauvignon be chilled before serving?’ A well-trained person, who can answer these types of questions, can efficiently make good wine. As an owner, even you must know the answers of these types of minute questions like ‘Should Cabernet Sauvignon be chilled before serving?’